Building a Stronger Financial Future
Here you will find an overview of the Foundations’ Enhanced Financial Counseling Certification Program. Participation in this multi-faceted program shows you and your credit union’s commitment to helping members build a stronger financial future, and we look forward to helping you to succeed.
Since 2017, the Foundations’ have presented an enhanced version of CUNA’s Certified Financial Counseling program (FiCEP). Three hundred Pennsylvania and New Jersey Credit Union Professionals have already earned their Credit Union Certified Financial Counselor (CCUFC) designation.
Our Enhanced FiCEP Curriculum Includes:
- Eight modules presented in print format to be read at the student’s pace prior to webinar viewing
- Eight tutorial webinars to recap and highlight each module
- Eight fill-in-the-blank Study Guides with answer keys for each module
- A Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document
- Downloadable Student Success Plan (an organizational tool for students)
- Access to CUNA’s Online Practice Quizzes
- Dedicated Student Portal
- Dedicated email FICEP@lcul.com for student questions to the instructor, plus the Foundation staff are always at your service
- Tool kits with additional resources, including a counseling action plan, sample dialogue, and Program Decision Guide
- Two live In-Person training days to include instructor review, role-playing, mind mapping program implementation & idea sharing
- Take-away tool kits including budget spreadsheets, spending plans, tracking methods and more
- Two proctored online tests of 100 questions each – one mid-term and one at final – held at the CrossState’s offices in PA and in NJ
- A copy of the CCUFC Toolkit
Fall & Spring Registration Schedule
The Foundation’s holds two Enhanced FiCEP courses per year – one in the spring and one in the fall.
Spring: Registration begins in September and continues through December. The course runs from January through May.
Fall: Registration begins in early May and continues through July. The course runs from September through December.
Webinar and Training Schedule
- Tuesday, September 1: Introduction to Financial Counseling
- Tuesday, September 8: Financial Counseling Essentials
- Tuesday, September 22: Special Issues in Financial Counseling
- Tuesday, October 6: Using Communication Skills During Financial Counseling
- Part 1 Live Training/Testing Session (NJ): October 15 (tentative date) from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm (CrossState Credit Union Association, Hightstown)
- Part 1 Live Training/Testing Session (PA): October 16 (tentative date) from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm (CrossState Credit Union Association, Harrisburg)
- Tuesday, October 20: Taxes, Insurance, and Investments
- Tuesday, November 3: Controlling Expenses
- Tuesday, November 17: Money, Attitudes & Behaviors
- Tuesday, December 1: Retirement & Personal Financial Preparedness
- Part 2 Live Training/Testing Session (PA): December 9 (tentative date) from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm (CrossState Credit Union Association, Harrisburg)
- Part 2 Live Training/Testing Session (NJ): December 10 (tentative date) from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm (CrossState Credit Union Association, Hightstown)
All testing is done online so that students receive their grades instantly and privately.
- New Book option – $950 per person
- Share with a Co-Worker – $825
- Bring your own book option – $400 per person. This option requires you to borrow or purchase a used copy of this book from your peers on your own. The current set of books for the course have 4th edition clearly marked on cover and spine.
Registration closes on July 24, 2020, to ensure timely arrival of books.
Who should become a Certified Financial Counselor?
Anyone wanting to earn their CCUFC designation has the opportunity to do so, but we especially recommend this program for Lending Staff, Collections Staff, Branch Managers, Trainers, and Educators.
Please know that we are here to help you succeed, so email Kathleen Fey with any questions, or call 800-932-0661, ext 2244.